Who is the course for?
This course is designed for participants who already have considerable experience in operating small vessels and wish to hold a Coxswain Grade 1 (NC) CoC. A formal prerequisite of successfull completion of this course is the completion of a Coxswain Deck Course or equivalent.
How will I be trained and assessed?
SMT provides training and assessment, activities will include:
- steering a course and condutcting a voyage (assessed during Coxswain Deck Course)
- practical chartwork and navigation assessment
- an assignment on navigational symbols
- verbal assessment of understanding of navigational actions
How is training delivered?
The course includes a working knowledge of:
- navigational charts, symbols and abbreviations
- plotting instruments
- tides and currents
- plotting course and planning voyages
- speed, time and distance calculations
- magnetism, variation, deviation and compass error calculations
How long is the course?
This is a 2 day course (9am – 5pm), including practical sessions. It is recommended that participants complete a Maths for Mariners assignment before the course begins as part of preparing for the types of calculations that may be used. If required, SMT can assist with accessing free maths training. All equipment, training and assessment materials that participants need will be provided. Please bring your own writing materials.
What sort of credential(s) do I get if I complete the course?
For eligible Tasmanian residents, this training is subsidised by the Department of State, Growth, Tasmania.